January 4th, 2012
I have a few things to say about this Oliver + S coat. Ulysses has managed to wear his current coat through two winters now and it’s finally getting a bit snug, so I got it in my head to make him a coat. I’m not one for patterns, as I generally find that they tend not to cut corners and I’m not very good at following directions or reading thoroughly or these sorts of things. But alas, I decided a coat may not be the best thing to try to wing and it would be nice for it to appear slightly homemade, not horribly homemade, so I did some searching and it seemed all the clever crafty bloggers out there go for this pattern. It’s a great pattern. Although it’s a freaking TON of work, it’s really well written and easy enough to follow. This was one of those projects that I got a little obsessed over and really wanted. it. done. now sort of thing. So I kind of used up a few of our vacation days in a frenzied crafting haze with fabric on the table, little piles around the house and clippings and threads and scraps everywhere!
It comes out really polished looking and professional BUT a few things: the pattern called for FAR more fabric than I actually needed–almost twice as much!–and I splurged and bought nice fabric and not only could the project have cost almost half of what it did but now I have all this extra wool that is not enough to make another coat out of. I decided to insulate this one, which complicated things further and I wish I would have put some interfacing in the front panels. My other comment is that the shoulders are really too wide. I kept thinking that once I had the lining and hood installed they would be normal, but nope. I think it’s fine and he looks totally cute in it. Success!
Entry Filed under: Uncategorized