Archive for September, 2007
My new camera takes nice close-up shots. These are from, again, Ryan playing around with the camera. Photography as an artform is harder for me to grasp than someone with a canvas and paint, where the creation starts from a raw material, the creative inside. But examining the way someone frames something, how a moment is captured from a different perspective, it’s easier to see why photography hangs in a museum. If someone had asked me to take a picture of the sewing machine, a roll of upholstery, a book, and the cat, it would have been a much different thing. The lighting would have been rosier, the set-up less organic, and the overall photo more in context–more realistic.
September 27th, 2007
My husband snapped this picture of me last week while I was blogging. I thought it would be interesting to post it here–sort of a picture of someone taking a picture kind of idea; a reflection of sorts. I have spent a great deal of time blogging over the past few years and I so enjoy the process of making, capturing, sharing.
I made this jellyfish painting for a friend on her birthday. I like how free-form it turned out. It’s always a little difficult creating art or a craft for someone. Trying to assume their tastes and color palette, hoping it’s something they will like and not feel obligated to use or display.
September 25th, 2007
Here’s the final production of the Christmas gifts: giardiniera and sweet pepper sauce. I added a recycled paper topper with fabric ribbon, a small fork, and a hand towel with a quilted touch. I think it shapes up really nice!
And, I purchased some fabric from Repro Depot. It’s from Denyse Schmidt’s line of fabric called Katie Jump Rope. I love it all. I’m not sure what kind of quilt to make with it. Anyone have a suggestion? It’s also a Christmas gift, but it might not get done until next Christmas… we’ll see how speedy I am.
September 19th, 2007
The weather has been so nice, we’ve been spending what we can outside–by the water or in the sun. These photos were taken at Magnuson Park in the late afternoon. You can tell Fall is coming from the long shadows and the apple tree that’s just brimming with fruit. And the spiders. Look at that gargantuan. I use the pitcher as a watering can. I picked it up, got half way to the sink inside my house and yelled. I was tempted to drop the thing and run, but just barely remembered I was inside and, thankfully, thought better of it. I told Ryan it was too large to live and that since I was a hundred times bigger I got to make that decision. Ewe. How was your weekend?
September 17th, 2007
8 Random Facts
I was tagged by Chef Messy to do a meme of 8 random facts about myself, so here they are:
1. I really like corn and eggplant but my husband doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t like either, so I only get to eat these if we dine out.
2. I think that we should pay the Ã¢â‚¬Å“realÃ¢â‚¬Â cost of the items we purchase. For instance, I recently learned that sales of beverages in plastic bottles (mainly water) increased by 80 million pounds last year, while the rate of recycling those plastic bottles increased by 2 million pounds. This makes for an addition of 78 million pounds of waste to our landfills, not to mention resources expired. If the cost of cleaning up that waste was included in the bottle, we would all be a lot more likely to carry a Nalgene and refill it with filtered water.
3. I love sunshine; I love the warm tingle of sunrays on my skin, being free from carrying cumbersome coats, sitting by the beach lounging in the warm embrace.
4. My cat, Mary Lou, eats any living thing including plants, so I canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t have any greenery or cut flowers without them being destroyed and having to clean up the debris.
5. I had a trampoline when I was growing up and I literally jumped and jumped and jumped for over an hour each and every day.
6. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m OCD about being lotioned and lip glossed. I carry both with me everywhere I go and reapply several times a day.
7. I walk to work every day. It takes about 30 minutes and is the best way I can think of to start a day.
8. I love sweets. Any kind of sweet but chocolate. I also have a very bad habit of following every meal with something sweet. Sugar addict, anyone?
I’m supposed to tag some new peeps, so here goes. Sorry if you’ve already participated: Write, Mama, Write; The Absent Knitter ; Stardust Shoes ; Sew Nancy ; Cherry Tomato. Good luck, ladies!
- Players write a post describing eight random facts about themselves.
- They then Ã¢â‚¬Å“tagÃ¢â‚¬Â eight bloggers to write similar posts, including the rules.
- The players then leave a comment on blogs they’ve tagged to tell them about the meme.
September 15th, 2007
2 T. pineapple juice
1 sm can chunk pineapple
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1 T. dijon
3/4 t. curry
1/8 t. salt
4 c. cooked, cool chicken
2 T. thin sliced gr. onion
1/3 c. slivered toasted almonds
1/3 c. raisins
September 12th, 2007